Care facility under investigation by county, state agencies



Regional staff

New details emerged Monday about a Gainesville man’s recent operation of a home for mentally ill patients discharged from clinics such as Laurelwood Hospital at the Northeast Georgia Health System in Gainesville.

Reveckeyo Anwaan Hill’s facility in Jackson County was closed last week after local law enforcement officers and state agencies searched the facility, located in a residential subdivision off Highway 124, that moved from Hall County just days earlier.

Computers and bank records were seized during the search and Jackson County Sheriff’s investigators are continuing to review the materials to determine if charges are forthcoming.

Gainesville resident Hill, 29, has denied the facility was a personal care home. He said it was a ministry and didn’t require licensing. A call for comment on Monday was not returned.

Hill says he was a pastor at St. Paul United Methodist Church on Summit Street in Gainesville, but Clarence Thrower, the head pastor, denied Hill was ever a pastor or a member of the church leadership there.

He said Hill and his wife had attended services there and had occasionally brought people by for visits or services. What he does is his business, Thrower said.

“There is only one pastor at St. Paul and that is me,” Thrower said. “He is not a pastor here.”

Hill said he was ordained in 2008, but declined to say where.

The home at 148 Terrell Lane in Jefferson was not licensed by state and local government did not have any application for a variance to zoning regulations. The state is investigating a possible unlicensed personal home care facility. If the Georgia Department of Community Health determines Hill was operating an unlicensed personal care home, he could face civil or criminal penalties.

The facility came to light on Sept. 9 when Hill contacted the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office about a runaway female patient. A deputy tracked down the female patient walking up Ga. 124. The deputy and the patient returned to the house, the incident report said. The woman told deputies of mistreatment of females.

While at the facility, deputies were alerted to circumstances which prompted them to request the matter be turned over to investigators.

The incident report said Hill said the location was a treatment facility with patients from Laurelwood Hospital.

See more on the story in the Sept. 19 print edition of The Paper.