Hawks suffer 2 pivotal region losses


The last time the Hawks met the Eagles, it was at The Hill where they won on a buzzer-beater 3-pointer courtesy of Trevon Shaw. Mill Creek was able to maneuver past John Reyes of Collins Hill High School who is nearly seven feet tall. His shot blocking abilities are effortless yet whatever worked for the Hawks the first time around was missing last Tuesday where they tumbled 49-44 against the Eagles.

From the opening tip-off Reyes made his presence felt on the defensive side of the ball. He wasn’t the most athletic or highly-skilled player on the court; he simply used his height to his advantage. Kris Milon was one of the few Hawks that was able to get past Reyes, who blocked a handful of shots that could have sealed the win for the Hawks.

Trevon Shaw drew first blood with a 3-pointer that brought the stands to its feet. Eric Ritland followed with a three of his own to go up 6-4. The Eagles went up by one after shots at the free throw line. Reyes continued to reject shots by the Hawks but Elijah Bryant decided to return the favor and displayed his own shot blocking abilities.

The Hawks may have struggled underneath the basket but they did well from behind the arc. Yet the Eagles were able to outdo whatever tactics the Hawks devised.

The frenzy between the two didn’t let up in the second quarter; Ritland pulled the Hawks within six at the charity stripe but the Eagles lead rose to nine with a one minute to play in the half.

The second half such a much hungrier team from the Hawks; the Hawks worked together to sink shots away from Reyes and Kris Milon tied the game up at 34 all. From there, the seesaw battle for the lead would not die down. Up 45-40 with less than a minute to play the Eagles began to pull away as they used shots from the free throw line to prohibit the Hawks from being within reach of taking the lead.

Christopher led the pack with 13 points and Shaw finished with 10.

The match against North Gwinnett was far more entertaining up until the second half; North Gwinnett seized control in the final two quarters. Brandon Smith and Shaw kept the game close in the first half but the Bulldogs took control and finished with a 59-47 win.