Barrow County Emergency Services units were dispatched to a Wednesday afternoon structure fire at a Cavern Springs Drive address in Statham.
“When firefighters arrived, we found heavy fire condition at the front of the home,” said Battalion Chief Mike Stoops. “The fire had already extended into the roof line of the home.”
Engine 1, Engine 6, Med 1, Med 6 and Battalion 1 responded, and firefighters were able to quickly bring the fire under control from the outside of the home. The fire and smoke caused extensive damage to the home.
Two adults were displaced.
The fire investigation team determined the cause of the fire was improper disposal of a cigarette, which ignited pine straw around the foundation of the home.
“We want to remind citizens when discarding smoking materials that they need to ensure the material is completely extinguished and placed in a container designed for cigarette disposal,” said Public Information Officer Lieutenant Scott Dakin.