Fugitive arrested by Jackson County Sheriff’s Office


The arrest of a fugitive wanted by authorities was announced today by Jackson County Sheriff Janis Mangum.


James Alvin Pressley, 32, of Pendergrass, was arrested Tuesday, Jan. 15, in Commerce. Pressley, who was being sought on numerous felony warrants was located by an alert off-duty Jackson County deputy who called for on-duty deputies to make the arrest.

Pressley resisted arrest but was taken into custody after a struggle and attempted to flee.

Pressley is being held in the Jackson County Detention Center on numerous charges including two counts of armed robbery – intimidation – taking of a controlled substance; robbery; four counts of aggravated assault; reckless driving; fleeing and attempting to elude; and multiple traffic violations. A hold has also been placed on Pressley by the Banks County Sheriff’s Office.

Pressley had been sought for a week after attempting to flee deputies who had located him and attempted to arrest him on the initial criminal charges of aggravated assault, robbery and armed robbery related to a Dec. 28 incident in Arcade. The initial warrants were taken by the Arcade Police Department.

On Tuesday, Jan. 8, Pressley attempted to hit a deputy’s patrol car head-on, forcing the deputy’s vehicle off the roadway to avoid a collision.

A Jackson County deputy responding to the call for assistance in Pressley’s apprehension lost control of his patrol car and crashed. The deputy was transported to the Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville.

Sheriff Mangum met with the deputy and his family after he arrived at the hospital.

“Pressley is a prime example of those carrier criminals who steadily become more and more violent jeopardizing the public and the law enforcement officers who engage him time after time,” Sheriff Mangum said.

Mangum further stated she “intends to see that the court is well aware of the violence, injury and expense involved in this particular case and work to assure that it doesn’t happen again for a long time.”

The deputy was treated at the hospital and released.